Thursday, May 1, 2014

May is Celiac Disease Awareness Month!

 
Gluten-free Scallop Scampi -- find my recipe in the Winter/Holiday 2012 back issue of Delight Gluten-free Magazine.

May is Celiac Disease awareness month! After being gluten-free for 5 years now, my life and health have completely changed for the better. I went 20 years before getting a diagnosis of gluten intolerance or Celiac. Since doctors started me on an elimination diet rather than testing me with a biopsy first, (you need to be actively eating gluten in order to have a positive result) it means now that I'm needing to be gluten-free, there is no way I am painfully consuming gluten again in order to get a positive biopsy. They noted my symptoms were so extreme they were sure it was classic Celiac disease. One day, I will get a genetic test to be absolutely sure. 

According to Celiac facts from the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, the average diagnosis time right now is 6 -10 years. That is 6 - 10 years too long so spreading awareness to cut down average time is important. 1 in 133 suffer from Celiac and it is estimated that 83% of Americans who have Celiac disease are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with other conditions. Please share this to spread awareness this month if you can, or at least hug a Celiac near you. Just make sure there's no crumbs on you first! 

The only treatment for Celiac disease right now is a strict lifelong gluten-free diet. No wheat, barley, rye, or cross contaminated oats might seem restrictive to some, but for me it means a bountiful and healthful life again. It's not bad at all, even with my many other food allergies. A positive attitude really helps heal anything. For more information about Celiac disease, gluten intolerance, gluten sensitivity and managing food allergies, check out my resources page.


No comments:

Post a Comment