Monday, January 23, 2012

Breast Tumor Awareness: My Story

[caption id="attachment_607" align="aligncenter" width="468"] Being diagnosed with a breast tumor was scary, but I'm ultimately thankful. It's a challenge to be a stronger, better person.[/caption]

"Oh....that's not a cyst. That's a tumor. See how you can't see through it? That's definitely a tumor."


When I heard those words while sitting for an ultrasound of the breast, my heart seemed to pound and stop at the same time. Lots of thoughts flew through my mind, the main one being "I'm too young for that." The doctor had even told me I was too young for any tumors to be forming and almost refused to give me an ultrasound while saying it was just a cyst.


The fact that I was almost not screened because the medical community deemed me "too young" to have a tumorous growth in the breast frankly scares me. With all the breast cancer awareness campaigns in the country that led me to do a monthly breast exam while in my early 20's, I expected to be taken seriously when I approached my physician about the lump I'd found on the left side. I'm here to tell every woman that your age doesn't matter when it comes to breast health. Never let a doctor or medical professional talk you out of an ultrasound, biopsy, or mammogram just because you're too young or if breast tumors and cancers don't run in your family. Everyone should be taking this as a serious issue to be treated accordingly.


For awhile, I had to search for a breast surgeon who was willing to take action rather than simply tell me that an ultrasound shows that the tumor "appears" to be benign--but that they are not 100% certain. I've met with one breast surgeon who said I had two choices to choose from; Either have a needle core biopsy of the tumor, or have it removed completely to be safe. Next month, I'm to make a choice. But I know either way I decide is a good choice, which really helps the anxiety over the whole situation. In the mean time, I'm supercharging my diet with anti-cancer and anti-tumor formation foods in hopes of slowing the growth and maybe even shrinking the tumor (my tumor is still growing larger at the moment). At times, I'm unable to lay on my left side without some discomfort in the area. I believe in food as medicine as well as nourishment and am dedicated to trying to help the situation while I wait for a new appointment in the next month or so. I do believe it's lucky I was diagnosed with a soy allergy, as I've read a few different studies indicating that soy can be terrible for breast health (especially if estrogen affected breast cancer is present or prone to forming).


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pink_ribbon.svg


If you've ever been diagnosed with a tumor, you know how essential a positive attitude is. The human body is a miracle and positive thoughts and support really impact your health in a big way. I'm thankful to have such a loving, supporting family and boyfriend who have helped me stay on track through these various health scares. I can only see all my health situations going uphill in the future. I'll be posting about this periodically with updates on this situation.


I urge every woman regardless of age to do monthly breast exams and get regular check ups. Take your health into your own hands, because no one is more responsible for your health than you. Let your little light shine and stay positive!


What's your story? Have you ever been diagnosed with a breast tumor? Leave a comment below.




[caption id="attachment_608" align="aligncenter" width="468"] Life is short. Surround yourself with the people and things you love. See everyday as a new slate, and a new opportunity to be a better, stronger you.[/caption]

My family, my spirit, my actions and attitude all help support overcoming obstacles in a big way. Above is a picture from my sister's wedding this fall. How beautiful is she? ;)

12 comments:

  1. Good luck! You have such a great attitude and hope everything goes great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words Katie, they really mean a lot =) Sending best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good advice and such beautiful girls in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Breast Tumor Awareness: My Story (sprinklesandallergies.wordpress.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] Breast Tumor Awareness: My Story (sprinklesandallergies.wordpress.com) Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in content for sale, Health, menopause, menstration, Pregnancy, recovery, Stress, treatment, woman's health and tagged benign, boobs, breast cancer, breast exam, BSE, cysts, doctors, feel, health, healthy boobies, lump, malignancy, masectomy, mass, medical exams, men's health, patients, phylloides, self breast exam, skin changes, treatments, Tumor, tumors, wellness. Bookmark the permalink. ← Obama, Steve Trombley and Vermont Planned Parenthood’s sex-ad campaign [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] few things that really inspire me to embrace my inner strength. No food allergies, celiac disease, tumors, or seemingly stressful jobs have power over the creation of my own happiness and full appreciation [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] right is key for whatever ails your body–especially when it comes to tumors and cancer. In a previous post, I explained that I’ve been diagnosed with a breast tumor (believed to be benign, but still [...]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you get a positive news! As a breast cancer survivor (who was previously thought "too young" to have mammograms and, therefore, couldn't find cancer on time) I understand your worries and support your great attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much! I'm very glad to hear you're doing well now, and I'm sure I will be too =) Sending healthy energies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read this and your story is amazing. You are so.strong :) And btw...I read soy was good for breast health? The confusion :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sabrina, thanks so much. It just goes to show taking your health into your own hands is so key -- it's scary that the doctors would've skipped it right over because they said I was "too young" for it to be a tumor. Anyway, glad we found it! So apparently there a few different types of breast tumors and breast cancers that can either be agitated or worsened by estrogen dominance or not bothered by estrogen. With the tumors that are linked with estrogen dominance, it is best to avoid foods high in phytoestrogens such as soy. As for the other types, I'm not even sure how much soy can affect them. Luckily, I'm allergic to soy so I don't even have to worry about that debate much lol. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete