Sunday, February 26, 2012

Peppered Breakfast Bake

A fresh way to start a sunny Sunday.



 
 A late breakfast, early lunch that makes for great energy all day.

Usually my attempts at frittata turn into something better--a scrambled breakfast bake! My refusal to use teflon frying pans (the non-stick that lets off toxins if it gets heated too much) results in the frittata breaking apart. I don't mind though, as I then get to add all my favorite fresh ingredients and have control over how long I cook them. I like to keep things fresh and not cook out too many of the nutrients. The exception is the spinach, which I usually add first since more nutrients are absorbed when it is slightly sauteed.
Peppered Breakfast Bake

{{Soy free, Gluten free, Legume free, Casein free, Nut free}}



  • 4-5 eggs
  • 1 cup Spinach
  • 1 cup Kale (the greens look like a lot at first, but they cook down to a smaller amount).
  • 1/2 medium sized onion, roughly chopped or diced.
  • 1 Poblano pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup diced tomato
  • 2 sprigs fresh dill, minced
  • 3 sprigs fresh parsley roughly chopped.
  • Salt, Pepper, Dried Thyme, and a Dash of Cayenne.
Saute onions, poblano pepper, and garlic in a pan with olive oil (or coconut oil) over medium heat. Add the spinach after a few minutes, and the kale just afterwards. When the greens begin to wilt, add the tomato and the 4 or 5 whisked soy free eggs. Mix around in the pan just as you would to scramble the eggs, but making sure the veggies and greens are incorporated. Add the salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Take the pan off the heat and add the fresh herbs.

 

What's your power breakfast?

Wishing a sunny Sunday to all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. [...] oil in everyday dishes in place of my formerly beloved olive oil. A few dishes I love it on are my peppered breakfast bake and my creamy brown rice pasta with coconut white wine [...]

    ReplyDelete