Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Savory Belarusian Kapusta (капуста)


My boyfriend Y is from Belarus and he truly makes the best Kapusta....meaning Cabbage in Russian (капуста). Belarusian dishes like fried Kapusta (cabbage) are so flavorful, and are only made with fresh ingredients. Y throws everything together with healthy oils and fresh dill--a staple in Eastern European flavoring. It's amazing how great he can make an allergen free dish for me, and for that I say "Spasibo, Ya tebya lublu." ("Thank you, I love you" in Russian). You're my rock.
There are also tons of great recipes from Belarus that feature Bulba (бульба), meaning potato in Belarusian language. A lot of these dishes are naturally gluten-free; Potato pancakes, fried potatoes with dill, and cold salads featuring potatoes are simple to make and are loaded with flavor. They can be made sweet or savory--with applesauce topping or sour cream and spices. Check out a recipe we've made for Belarusian style potato pancakes here.


Savory Belarusian Kapusta (Fried Cabbage)

This recipe is free of the top 8 allergens, sugar, legumes, yeast, and grains.



  • 1 head green or purple cabbage

  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved

  • 1 cup chopped carrots

  • 1 medium onion, sliced

  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

  • 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped

  • Olive oil to taste

  • Salt and black pepper to taste

  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder

  • Hot Option: Dash of cayenne pepper


  1. Saute all ingredients and spices in a large frying pan with olive oil until cabbage is tender and carrots are cooked through, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot with herbal tea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

  1. kapusta is the best! check out my borsch recipe :) and I hear you about trying to manage several allergies/intolerances, not easy but still doable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checked out your Borsch recipe--looks fantastic! We have been wanting to make some Borsch and your recipe looks awesome. I think I have upwards of 20 different severe food allergies at this point, but most days, I don't even think about it. I'm healthier than I've ever been and that's so worth the restrictions =) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Savory Belarusian Kapusta (Eastern European sauteed cabbage), Vegan [...]

    ReplyDelete