Sunday, June 17, 2012

Thank you, Dad

 
Sophie, my dad's other little girl.



In celebrating my wonderful father today on Father's day, I'd like to share the story of how I came to be diagnosed with gluten intolerance (or celiac), and how my father ultimately found my diagnosis.

Three and a half years ago, my family and I were trying desperately to figure out why my health was in shambles. I wasn't digesting correctly, was losing weight with no explanation, and had severe depression and anxiety. I felt sick all over and knew something was very wrong with my body. I visited doctors who took one look at me and told me I was simply "overworking" myself as a college student or cracked it all up to IBS and threw depression medication at me. I knew deep down that they were only treating symptoms and feared we would never find the root cause.

One weekend, I was having an especially hard time. I drove home from college and just being around my parents again was comforting, though the health problems persisted. I remember feeling so defeated as I sat cross legged on the carpet with my dad and our two puppies. He listened to everything I had to say about what I'd been going through and made me feel safe, as he always had done. He told me to stay strong, keep my faith, and that we would find what was going on.

The next morning I woke up feeling fairly better than I had been and was in good spirits. I bounced upstairs and found my dad in the kitchen, the smell of fresh brewed coffee filling the room. We talked and he made me a hearty breakfast--a delicious ham and cheese filled omelet--while he taught me about how to make sure the eggs don't stick and how to season for great flavor. After eating the omelet, I felt fantastic. For once, I felt my stomach wasn't too bloated to eat any more. My dad made me some toast since I was feeling alright.

About 10 minutes after eating the toast, I began to feel the anxiety creep over my body again as my stomach started to ache. My dad watched me transform from being happy and energetic to scared and sick all over again. We couldn't figure out what we had done wrong. Soon after, he talked with his doctor about his worries and talked about how I used to have a problem with wheat when I was a baby. The doctor had said that I would outgrow the issue, despite the rashes and irritation that plagued me. He wondered if I had never outgrown the issue, especially after the recent toast issue.

I ended up going on a gluten elimination diet for an extended time after the doctor mention that I might have Celiac disease or gluten intolerance. After a while, I was told to put gluten back in my diet to test for a reaction. I had been feeling amazing since cutting it out and was reluctant to try it again. I loaded up on a glutenous pizza and beer binge to test, which proved to be an absolute terrible idea the next day. I had a classic gluten reaction and really didn't feel like getting out of bed at all. I was diagnosed soon after and made a full recovery.

My father and mother have always done everything they could to try and find the root cause of my health issues, and I am forever grateful for their love, support and persistence with everything that I've gone through. Thank you Dad, for helping me better myself and save my health in the process. I'm happy, gluten free, and 350% better than I was before thanks to you. Thank you Mom, for going out the same day we found out the issue and helping me find all the food I could eat. You've made me the woman I am today, and there are no words I can say to express how much I love you both. I can't ask for better parents and wish I could be home for Father's day, and that I could've also been home for Mother's day. My dad is traveling today, and I'm wishing him a very safe and happy trip. I'll be thinking of him the whole time.

Have a blessed Father's Day and don't forget to say I love you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



5 comments:

  1. Sophie is too cute for words!
    Regretfully your story is very common, It's changing, but not quickly enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I've diagnosed 4 people with celiac before their own doctor did, and I have no medical degree. When they got tested, it was always confirmed. Things need to change. The average diagnosis time is somewhere around 10 years. Mine took 20.
    Sophie is such a joy :-) Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] n’ Stuff restaurant was anything but typical. The smell of freshly brewed coffee hung around my dad as he sipped and waited as my older sister and I made our breakfast choices, which almost always [...]

    ReplyDelete