Monday, October 8, 2012

Grain-free Pumpkin Pie Muffins


I am hopelessly in love with fall. All the trees are glowing and I'm getting giddily excited for Halloween. I absolutely can't explain the feelings I get during this season; everything just feels like excitement and change, even though I'm already graduated from U of M and not going back to school this year. This will be my 4th gluten-free Halloween and my 2nd one being soy-free, peanut-free, dairy-free and legume-free. While I have given up most processed sugar, I'm definitely not sitting out on the sweets and treats this year (and probably not the tricks either). This week on the blog will be an ode to autumn recipes and Halloween themes, starting with moist grain-free Pumpkin Pie Muffins. These literally taste like a moist delicious mouthful of traditional pumpkin pie in every bite--but without any of the dairy, gluten, or sugar. Like I always push... you don't have to sacrifice taste, sweetness or fun for health (even during the holidays).



Paleo Pumpkin Pie Muffins

Yields 12 muffins --**Note: these are shown with cupcake liners, but baking them in the pan without liners yields better results that don't stick to the liners. Just be sure to spray the pan with non-stick spray or oil.

This recipe is free of: Grain, Gluten, Soy, Dairy, Peanuts, Legumes, Processed Sugar, & Yeast

  • 1 & 1/2 cups almond flour
  • 1/2 cup hazelnut flour (can be substituted for just almond flour)
  • 4 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 1 tablespoon flax seed meal (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/3 cup xylitol or alternative sweetener of choice
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 & 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup oil or butter replacement, melted or softened to room temperature (I used Olivio Coconut Spread)

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin liberally with oil or butter replacement, as these muffins will stick if not oiled well. If desired, line with cupcake liners and brush the inside of the liners with oil instead.
  2. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and combine well.
  3. Distribute the batter evenly into the 12 cups and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. If your oven runs hot, start with 25 minutes, while if it runs cooler start with 30 minutes. My oven tends to be a little on the cooler side, so I ended up cooking mine for about 35 minutes.
  4. Serve hot, or cooled with Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 comments:

  1. Hi again,
    Im a big fan of your yummy recipes everytime!!! I Love reading all your interesting posts everytime thank you for all that...I wanted to ask you if you take or know of any good vitamins that are soy-free? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I'm so glad it's been helpful to you. Right now, I'm taking some letter vitamins by Nature's Bounty, since they are really detailed in allergen labeling. Right now I take the D-400, 500mg Vitamin C with Rosehips, the Calcium Magnesium Zinc complex and one of the B- vitamin complexes. Be really careful though, as a lot of their vitamins do contain soy or soybean oil so just make sure you read the label on all of their products you're considering buying. I also take one of their odorless garlic supplements (not the liquid gels, just the pill) on occassion. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm so glad it's been helpful to you. Right now, I'm taking letter vitamins by Nature's Bounty, and they're really good about allergen labeling. I take the D-400mg, 500mg Vitamin C with Rosehips, one of their B-vitamin complexes, and their Calcium Magnesium Zinc Complex. Be careful to read the labels on all of the individual products you are considering from them though, as some of their products do contain soy or soybean oil. I also contacted them awhile back to ask about cross contamination issues, and they let me know they completely segregate everything and have a rigorous system set up for allergen control. I also take their odorless garlic supplement (not the liguid gel, just the pill) on occassion. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your time!!! I a so happy to see that there is helpful people like you! Always have hope in God...I have hope in God that one day I will be cured from my food allergy...But when you think about maybe its for the best that we havelove to avoid this nasty soy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very welcome! Have a blessed day =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] options such as sugar free paleo muffins are a great boost in plant [...]

    ReplyDelete