Monday, November 12, 2012

Hazelnut Buckwheat Pancakes


I've been loving simple and fast recipes lately. It's been a pretty busy whirlwind around here getting ready for the fast approaching winter and juggling our to-do lists. I'm glad I found a few minutes to experiment with some gluten-free flour mixing somewhere between the deep cleaning of the house and the home office organization this week. While I'm not the biggest fan of plain buckwheat flour, it really lends itself to a thick fluffy gluten-free pancake. I decided to mix it with hazelnut flour for a natural nutty sweetness and the result has become my new go-to breakfast. As an added bonus, this recipe is fine for candida detox diets (leave off the raw honey for this) and is higher in protein than most other standard pancake recipes.



Paired with a steaming cup of Yogi Echinacea tea these babies were sweet, rich and well...surprisingly 'normal'. I can't wait to experiment a bit more with mixing alternative flours with sweet nut flours this winter. It'll be a great way to warm the house--with fantastic scents and the glow of the oven on a snowy morning. I can't believe I'm saying this already, but bring on the cold weather! I think I'm ready to cozy up.



Hazelnut Buckwheat Pancakes

This recipe is free of: Gluten, Soy, Dairy, Peanuts, Yeast, Processed Sugar, & Legumes.

Makes 5-6 medium/large pancakes

  • 1 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1/4 cup hazelnut flour
  • 1 cup almond milk, flax milk or coconut milk. Water can be used instead if desired.
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons xylitol (birch sugar) or sweetener of choice.
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
  1. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well by hand, eliminating any large lumps in the batter.
  2. Heat a large skillet pan to medium heat and drizzle with desired cooking oil.
  3. Pour 1/3 cup of the batter (or desired amount) into the skillet. Flip when small bubbles form near the middle of the pancake batter. Repeat until no batter remains.
  4. Serve drizzle with raw honey, raw maple syrup, or topped with coconut spread.

4 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! I was just thinking, I need to buy buckwheat again and now I really need too. Thanks for a great looking recipe :)
    -Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally! I've been on a buckwheat kick these last couple weeks which is actually probably a good thing since I used to be slightly anemic (iron deficient). Buckwheat has good amounts of iron and protein =)

    ReplyDelete