Monday, February 27, 2012

Healing with Allergies, Embracing Life




  1. Claritin 24 hour tabs

  2. Benadryl Liquid Gels

  3. Eternal Naturally Alkaline Water--for re-hydrating and cleansing the body post-allergic reaction.

  4. Now Solutions 100% Shea Butter--to soothe the skin when I have a rash break out during my reaction. Warning! Shea Butter does come from the tree nut, so if you are sensitive to tree nuts, I really don't recommend it. The only nuts I am sensitive to are peanuts. And of course, nutty people ;)

  5. Epinephrine (Epi-Pen) --I carry this with me at all times.

Relaxing and healing in our favorite cozy spot. Relaxing and healing in our favorite cozy spot.

Today I had some accidental exposure to soy while at work. There was a bustling conference of about 30 people zooming around the front lobby I was working in, and they had just ordered a plethora of pizzas, breads, sauces, steaming wings, sandwiches, and more. It wasn't the first time I'd been around a lot of allergens so I thought I'd be pretty much fine...and I was for a short time. That changed quickly when a few people approached my counter with steaming plates of allergen filled food and asked me for some favors. I served them quickly as I felt my throat tightening from inhalation of the steaming food. I made a run for my allergy medication.

The reaction got severe enough to cause twitching, shaking, numbness in the limbs and chest pains even after the throat swelling went down. I actually sat with my EpiPen in my lap for the first time in months. Right now, I'm bringing myself back to health and a good mindset from the safety of my favorite worn in seat on our cushy couch. After a food allergy scare, I remind myself it's okay to feel vulnerable and it's normal to recoil to a safer place. Nourishing myself with freshly made green juice with ginger (natural anti-inflammatory), hot water with lemon, and a comforting plate of buckwheat pilaf is a nice way to return to my spirited self. I find taking some time to heal physically and mentally, or in whatever way suits you best, is more beneficial in the long run than simply trying to play tough and reckless by just "powering through" a reaction and the aftermath. I don't take my health for granted. Not anymore. I treasure myself.

This video by the Food Allergy Initiative illustrates the life of an extremely food allergic young boy. His father speaks of the importance of being aware, growing as a food allergic individual, and trying to find that sacred balance between being careful and thriving happily. It's true to say that food allergic children are different from others, but I believe it's a difference that gives strength eventually, instead of initial fear. A stronger individual emerges from every challenge faced in life, and food allergies are no exception. I have hope for food allergic children (and adults) everywhere, that we will grow brighter in spite of setbacks and supposed limitations. I love this video, and it is very eyeopening to these realities. Let's rally our strength in hopes of a brighter future for our kids and for a food allergy cure.
Watch the video below, or Click the Link here.






What are your thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 comments:

  1. Wow...I used to take allergie pills and dont anymore cause I didnt think they were safe for my allergies...I don't know why lol but today I have been having a bad allergie day and I am going out right now to get some claritin, Thank you so much! You read my mind once again:p

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way you are in my prayers! Hope your feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, I am feeling much better today =) I don't know what I would do without my Claritin for just in case. And my EpiPen of course. I did call Claritin to make sure there wasn't any soy or gluten in the product, and it is safe. But they did tell me it is processed with some corn starch, so people with corn allergies or sensitivities should avoid it. (The liquid gels too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awsome! I don't have a corn allergy so that's good:)

    ReplyDelete