Monday, March 12, 2012

Homemade Almond Flour (unblanched) and Cacao & Spiced Almond Milk


After making a few batches of Almond Milk (check out the recipe and process here!), I've been left with a big lump of almond pulp which has been patiently chilling in my fridge for a few days. I decided to grind up the meal/pulp into a finer flour that I can go on a baking spree with. Making your own almond flour really saves a huge sum of money, as store bought pre-ground flour can cost upwards of $14.99 a pound. I buy my own almonds at about 5.99 or 6.99 per pound and not only get 64 ounces of milk out of each 2 cups of almonds, but then I have 2 cups of almond flour after each batch of milk I make.

The process is fairly easy, and all you need is a high speed blender or food processor. After making the nut milk, dry out the leftover pulp for at least a few hours until the clumps break apart easily. You're left over with something that looks like this:


Pour the almond pulp into a blender or food processor and blend on the highest speed for a few minutes. You may have to stop a few times to shake around the flour from the sides of the blender, or gently shake the base of the blender.


After blending the pulp finer, you can use it how it is, or sift it through a wire colander to get an even finer flour. But since this time I had unblanched almond meal (with the skin still on) it's meant to be a little grittier and courser in texture. Do keep in mind there are certain recipes that only call for blanched almond flour. The process for blanched flour is very easy too and basically instead of making almond milk, you take a cup or two of raw almonds and drop them into a boiling pot of water for about 1 minute. After taking them out of the water, rinse them and the skins or peeling comes right off. Those are the blanched almonds, which then can be ground into flour directly in the blender or food processor.


Almond flour is the best flour replacement I've found for wheat flour so far. It's Gluten-free, low-carb, high in protein, and doesn't have to be mixed with 18 other flours for the right consistency in baking. It's a great stand alone staple to keep in the kitchen at all times. We'll be making an almond flour cake later this week, so watch out for the recipe coming soon.

I also made a Cacao and Spiced Almond Milk that turned out fabulous. Follow my basic Almond Milk recipe here, and then add 2 tablespoons of Navitas Naturals Raw Organic Cacao Powder (or powder of choice), a few shakes of organic cinnamon, and 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (or to taste).


Do you have any favorite recipes that use almond flour? I'd love to hear about them!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 comments:

  1. Really almond flour can stand alone? That is exciting! I know the flour is pretty pricey, so I think making it is a great idea! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can stand alone in lots of recipes, but probably not all. There are a ton of great recipes by Coco at www.Roostblog.com that have been great inspirations. Check her site out, it's phenomenal! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! I can;t wait for your cake recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] days ago I made my first from scratch brownie expedition…complete with homemade unblanched almond flour! I followed a basic recipe from here (Thanks Dawn!) and watched the dark chocolatey goodness [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] Homemade Almond Flour (unblanched) and Cacao & Spiced Almond Milk (sprinklesandallergies.wordpress.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] basic recipe just a tad to accommodate the fact that I wanted to try a basic bread with my homemade Unblanched Almond Flour, and I wanted an oval shaped, flatter bread. Almond flour (or almond meal) that is unblanched [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] flour for this recipe and it worked beautifully. I talk about how to make it in a previous post here, along with unblanched almond flour. For a less dense and lighter biscuit, I recommend using the [...]

    ReplyDelete