Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Honey & Cinnamon Almond Biscuits (Gluten-free)


Our afternoon has been productive and this was the perfect way to relax. We founds ourselves having an afternoon tea-time with tasty sweet almond biscuits with cinnamon and honey. There was nothing proper and stuffy about it though, as we gobbled these tasty morsels up and dabbed some extra honey on top.

I was inspired by a recipe posted on Roost blog but I couldn't help but tweak the recipe to cater to my own taste buds--which are cinnamon junkies. Not enough to perform the spoonful of cinnamon challenge mind you, but enough to put it in a ridiculous amount of baked goods. Cinnamon makes everything just a little warmer and adds that little spark.


I used my homemade blanched almond flour for this recipe and it worked beautifully. I talk about how to make it in a previous post here, along with unblanched almond flour. For a less dense and lighter biscuit, I recommend using the blanched almond flour (no almond skins).




[caption id="attachment_874" align="aligncenter" width="468"] Biscuit drops before the oven.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_875" align="aligncenter" width="468"]
Warm and golden after the bake. Ready to devour.
Our afternoon break was perfect. Here's the recipe I used:

Honey & Cinnamon Almond Biscuits (Free of: Wheat, Gluten, Soy, Yeast, Corn, Peanuts, and Milk {casein}).

  • 2 1/2 cups almond flour (blanched)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon (I probably used more since I love cinnamon).
  • a sprinkle of fresh lemon juice
  • 2 soy free eggs
  • 1/4 olive oil
  • 1/4 raw local honey (We love Raw Michigan Honey!)
Preheat oven to about 350 degrees (will vary depending on ovens).

Combine dry ingredients together. Separately, combine the wet ingredients and stir well. Incorporate the wet  ingredients into the dry ones and mix well. I contemplated adding some vanilla extract, but decided I would try that another day. Place 8 equal spoonfuls on a baking dish or sheet that has been well greased (some prefer parchment paper, but I've never used it myself). Bake for approximately 20 minutes. I baked mine for about 18. Drizzle a little extra honey on top and serve after cooling a bit.

These babies are surprisingly filling--and low carbohydrate. Great for those who are on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for medical reasons. Once again, thanks to Coco at Roost blog for the inspiration.

What's your favorite baked good to make gluten free or with almond flour?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

  1. [...] Honey & Cinnamon Almond Biscuits (Gluten-free) (sprinklesandallergies.wordpress.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cookies! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I especially love them since they're easy to make =)

    ReplyDelete