Sunday, June 24, 2012

Living with Food Allergies: Overcoming Challenges


Since going gluten-free over 3 years ago and being highly allergic to soy, peanuts, and legumes for one year, I'd had my fair share of ups and downs. I know most people dealing with multiple food allergies have probably at one point dealt with many of the following things:

  • People telling you (directly or indirectly) that they think you're limited or "damaged goods" due to your strange immune system.

  • Strangers commenting on your weight or body in a negative light.

  • Misunderstandings about what you can and can't eat, and others seeing you as difficult due to your limited diet.

  • Feeling alone or isolated from people, close and not so close, that don't fully understand your situation or refuse to acknowledge it.

  • Struggling with safe food choices and keeping a balanced diet despite numerous restrictions.

  • Self loathing or feeling inadequate due to being different with food allergies.

  • Frustration on not being able to eat what everyone else does.

  • Depression/Anxiety over your permanent situation.

  • Feeling the need to apologize to others for your special diet or food allergies.

At first, I had a hard time grappling with the changes that had been shoved into my life without my consent. I felt myself asking questions like, "Why me?" or "How am I going to overcome this without losing myself?". The truth is, all of the above have come to be great and priceless blessings, even if it felt like the absolute opposite at the start.

Using these obstacles as stepping stones to building yourself back up after the fall takes patience and practice, but will ultimately make you stronger and more resilient than anyone or anything aiming these negative energies your way. Some of my best days have been laughing in the face of what seemed to be impossible to live with. I am constantly surrounded by food I cannot eat everywhere I go, but that doesn't mean my attitude needs to be sour. Let your light shine brighter and learn to love what you do have. Here's some of the many things I'm thankful for and that have taught me to embrace my radiant self, no matter what's testing me that day:

  • Precious and delicious food that I can eat

  • Learning to be my own gourmet chef and rock it out in the kitchen whenever I have a craving (waaay cheaper, healthier, and more fun than a few rounds at a run of the mill restaurant).

  • My support system: Family is forever and the ones you can trust to just "be there" truly shine with you through the challenges making you realize your full potential and grace.

  • The power of nature, nourishing the body, mind, and spirit, and keeping life simple.

  • A positive outlook changes your life, and no one can take away your own powerful thoughts.

  • Organic, pure, and real food.

  • Small steps and victories that reaffirm you are capable of anything you focus on overcoming.

  • How small and big my life seems at the same time when I look at the sky.

  • Others negativity ultimately becomes my strength.

  • Love. Pure and Simple.

That list could go on probably forever, but you get the idea. Overcoming challenges from living with special diets or food allergies can be difficult, there's no question about that. It's what you do with the opportunity that's knocking. Let your little light shine and be authentically you. You don't ever have to apologize for that. You are strong, beautiful, and you are the one that's in control. What will you do with your blessings today?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this, I really needed it! I keep falling into temptation of gluten items lately and feeling sick because of it. According to the "tests" I am not allergic, so I have been convinving myself I will be fine and it must be something else causing my stomach problems (bad gas, bloating and acne), but I think I need to just accept and face the fact that I need to avoid gluten. I do feel better without it. (Although it takes about a week to free it from my system when I ingest even a little!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food allergies are quite annoying because it restricts you to eat some of your favorite foods. I like seafoods but i am also allergic to it at the same time. ::*,"

    With appreciation http://healthmedicinelab.com/how-do-u-get-pink-eye/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled onto your website today all I can say is it is so nice to know there are others out there with the same severity of allergies as I do. I was in tears while reading some of the articles.
    Where do I start…. I have a son who is 3 ½ who at the age of 8 months had his first anaphylaxis reaction to a milk containing cracker. He was nursed the first year of his life. He is also an asthma child, who this last winter was in and out of the doctors office because he was not controlled on his medicine. You would never know he was anaphylaxis to all milk containing products, he is a very energetic, all boy toddler. I have an almost 2 year old daughter who, so far has lucked out on any real food allergies. So you can imagine how my son has be “trained” about his allergy and not to eat anything without asking mommy or daddy first. I embraced his special needs. I grew up in a household that did a lot of cooking and so I naturally did a lot of baking and still do for my son. Birthday parties you can imagine im the helicopter parent who stays in the shadows watching his every move without smothering him and we bring his own cupcake and snacks. I am also an registered nurse and have the training to take care of his needs without a second thought. It was our “normal”.
    Then this summer happened. My first anaphylaxis reaction happened in February to an herbal supplement I had taken. No big deal just never take that again. The first week in July of this year is when I felt my world that I once thought I had some control over was turned upside down. After eating a granola cereal and drinking a protein shake I had another anaphylaxis reaction. All I could think what the heck! Why is this happening!!??
    So for the next few weeks my world spiraled out of control with frequent trips to the ER. I have been reacting to everything, things I could eat one day and the next, well you know what happens. I even react to medications some serious reactions sending me to the ER. The medications that are suppose to be saving my life I have been reacting to on top of my already progressing allergic reactions to food . I did see an allergist and one of the things I am allergic to is SOY and all the wonderful things that go with that. They tested 40 things that day. Still more testing to come this month. Know, I already kinda knew the food to avoid because of my son who I took off of soy when he was younger. Again no big deal right just avoid it. Well I am still on an every other day oral steroid and a daily antihistamine and every 6 hours around the clock I take benadryl. I have to boil the heck out of my few foods that I have found that I can eat in order to just have a mild reaction. Everyday I have swollen lips, tongue, mouth and tightness around my throat. They are sending me to an Immune doctor soon in Denver. The funny thing is that per blood test and skin test im not allergic to some of the foods that I have been reacting to. So frustrating. It has to do with my over active immune system. Till now I have been very healthy and active person. We eat healthier now with organic bought and we also have out own garden. I grew up on a farm and married a rancher so we do have the resources.
    I’m still in the first or second stage of disbelief, anger, frustration and all I can think of is I am way to young for this. It took 27 years for this to happen. My kids need me! I have good days and bad days. After reading your post about self purpose and your journey this past 3 years gave me a glimpse of hope. That maybe there is a light at the end of this very dark and narrow tunnel. And most of all I need to be an example to my son. I have to be honest that I have had a very poor attitude about all of this on and off. So all I can say is Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine, thanks so very much for sharing your story. Your kids are obviously blessed with a wonderful mother. I'm so sorry to hear about your new food allergies, and I can really relate to having them come on almost overnight! To be honest, it's a very normal reaction to feel overwhelmed about these sort of changes. I know I try to be positive most of the time, but there are still days when I find it hard to deal. It's during those times that I call on my support system; my amazing friends, family, and boyfriend. It's so important to be surrounded by people that love and care for you, and it really makes it easier to try and laugh/smile at the things we can't fully control. I definitely couldn't cope with this completely on my own. That said, I really want to thank you again for sharing this with me. It's nice to have that sense that you're not alone in this fight.

    If you would like, please feel free to let me know how your test results turn out. I remember getting poked and prodded about 50 times, and even though I am deathly allergic to soy and all legumes, they came back negative on the skin tests (I was told these are 50% false positive...eek!) Have you been tested at all for Eosinophilic Esophagitis? It can cause a lot of food reactions that sometimes don't show up as allergies during the test. After a lot of research, I also found that many people can develop food allergies later in life due to candida albicans imbalance. (I had a candida issue when I had mono really bad, then I developed my soy allergy. I'm not sure if they're fully correlated or not). A lot of doctors don't like to talk about candida causing allergies, but it is a reality and just something to be aware of in case. I hope they find what the root cause is for you, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out in any way. Stay your strong and amazing self and let your little light keep shining through this. It sounds like you're doing a great job dealing with all of this, and you'll make it through even stronger =)

    Sending lots of allergy-free love,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all the advise! I have not been tested for eosinophilic esophagitis but i im sure that is one thing that they will look into later this month. I did ask the doctors about candida and like you said they didnt have much to say about it. What did you do to get rid of yours? Im going the 19th of this month to the university in Denver to see an Immune doctor. I would love to let you know what they have to say or even what they decide to do. I have only had one set of allergy test done and they did like 40 skin test that day. Like you said, hey are not 100%. Im hoping for the best in all of this and i have had a better out look this week. I do feel a little more in control...within reason. God has bigger plans than i can imagine. Im still having the daily swelling tounge which is strage. I must still be coming in contact with something i am allergic to. I have to tell you, i freaked out today. I was taking the kids outside and i was about to spary some "natural" bug spray on the kidos when i caught a glimps of the ingredients. Soybean OIL! i dropped the bottle and ran to wash my hands! I havent had to use bug spary in a while but thank goodness i read the lable! So we ended up throwing the bottle away. It is amazing that soy has managed to filter into every aspect of our lives. thanks again! Christie

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have some gluten allergy and most of the time i used gluten-free diet. its good thing ti know that i dont have allergy to dairy. '

    Most current posting from our blog
    http://www.foodsupplementdigest.com/spirulina-powder/

    ReplyDelete