Thursday, January 30, 2014

Healthy Triple Chocolate Dream Shake (Gluten-free)

DSC_1589

Some of us with multiple food allergies and intolerance can face an uphill battle on maintaining a healthy weight. Let's face it, it can really happen to anyone. Those of us who are underweight can feel a little overwhelmed while being constantly surrounded by weight loss advertisements, and those with a few extra pounds can feel equally pressured by the media to be thin.

With restricted food allergic diets however, it can see like a lot of extra planning to keep a balanced weight. Luckily, it doesn't have to be as complicated as it might seem. Supplementing with a delicious protein packed smoothie or shake can make it fun and easy. Since the start of the year, I've made some great progress on my goal of adding a few pounds of healthy weight by adding shakes between meals (not cutting down on any meals). This adds extra calories, healthy fats, calcium, and more plant proteins that I might not have consumed otherwise.

If someone is on the road to losing a few pounds, they may consider replacing a regular large lunch with a protein packed shake that will fill them up and help keep them feeling full until later in the day.

This amazing shake I've been making and guzzling everyday this week seriously tastes like a decadent bite of chocolate cake--minus the unhealthy ingredients! I just had to give it a name worthy of its yummy goodness-- triple chocolate dream shake. It uses some of my favorite gluten-free products (that also happen to be soy-free) including LaraBar Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough fruit and nut bar, brown rice chocolate protein powder, and Almond Breeze unsweetened chocolate almond milk. Oooh chocolate dream, you're making me melt!

DSC_1590


Healthy Triple Chocolate Dream Shake (Gluten-free)

Yield: 1 large shake, or 2 smaller shakes.


  1. Add all ingredients to a high speed blender (I use Vitamix) and blend on high until a smooth consistency is achieved. (*Note: If a thinner consistency is desired, add additional ice or non-dairy milk).
  2. Serve cold.
  3. **For a regular treat with less protein, omit the added protein powder.

3 comments:

  1. OUTSTANDING!!!!! Healthy Decadence!! Now THAT's a WINNING combination!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mhmmm....this looks so delicious!! I love anything with chocolate and how cool that you include a Lara Bar in this recipe! I never thought about putting them in smoothie before but great idea! I love Lara Bars so much, they're my go to snack :). By the way, I *love* your blog. Your posts are very inspirational to me! While I've not had nearly the struggles you've had with food allergies, I also have multiple food allergies so it is nice to see that someone else is going through the same sort of experience. Keep up the great work! :D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words! I look forward to catching up on your blog! <3 Bethany

    ReplyDelete