Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Importance of Diagnosis: Going Gluten-free

[caption id="attachment_539" align="aligncenter" width="421"]http://www.dreamstime.com/wheat-field-imagefree2621990 The road to health: Gluten-free (Photo credit Dreamstime.com Free)[/caption]

Recently, I've been asked by a few readers to do a series of posts outlining a gluten free guide/survival crash course for beginners. In the next few posts, I'll be covering the following. If you're wondering about going gluten-free, the main thing to remember is:

It is not hard!---No matter what anyone else says! Going Gluten-free is a breeze.


The next posts will be broken down into 3 main posts including:




  1. Symptoms: This is crucial, as they will lead to a correct (and much needed) diagnosis of Celiac Disease or Gluten intolerance.

  2. Diagnosis: How to talk with your health care professional regarding classic Celiac Testing, and also testing for gluten intolerance--something many patients are left to do on their own with no real guidance. Here's where the research I had to do myself came in super useful. Food diaries and elimination diets are really very helpful.

  3. Treatment: Implementing, and sticking to a Gluten-free Diet is key. Focus on what you can eat instead of what you can't. Going Gluten-free is surprisingly easy, and most people I've diagnosed even before the doctor's did said they were astounded at the huge selection of GF products available these days. They're right! It's such a positive thing!

  4. Vital Importance: I'll be outlining how undiagnosed Celiac or Gluten Intolerance can lead to terrible diseases, mental disorders ranging from ADHD to schizophrenia, and even Multiple Sclerosis. I went 20 years without a diagnosis and am lucky I didn't have much irreversible damage, save my nervous system.

  5. Healing: Having a diagnosis of Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerance IS life changing in more ways than just a diet. It changes the way you approach life as a whole. Focusing on filling your body with good nutrition, calming practices (meditation or yoga), and doing things you enjoy all help one to find balance again after wondering if the world is upside-down or not. Remember, you are always stronger than you think. You will thank yourself later for the changes you make today.


Stay tuned! Post one of three will be posted tomorrow. If you'd like some information about going gluten free sooner, please feel free to email me at sprinklesandallergies@gmail.com  I've been gluten free for three years now and have had no choice but to become a complete expert on the subject. Thanks again for asking for the post topic. Supporting each other makes the whole thing that much easier.

[caption id="attachment_540" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Being gluten-free does not rule my life. I am a stronger person because of it. I still dream big. Nothing holds me down, especially not a little gluten ;)[/caption]

2 comments:

  1. [...] intolerance, going gluten-free and getting a diagnosis, see a few of my previous posts: Importance of Gluten-Free, Symptoms, and Basics of [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Check out my past posts on the symptoms of Celiac, basics of diagnosis, and the importance of getting a diagnosis. [...]

    ReplyDelete