Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Food Allergies in the Air

[caption id="attachment_536" align="aligncenter" width="468"]http://www.dreamstime.com/morning-with-cappuccino-imagefree3364307 Are you breathing in your food allergy? (Photo credit: Dreamstime.com Free)[/caption]

For the second time at my new job, I've been thrown into a full blown soy allergy reaction by breathing in hot cocoa powder which contains soy. The hot chocolate and coffee station is located directly next my desk in a busy hotel lobby and there's not much hope of moving the entire large station. I didn't expect when I took the job that I would be in such close and dangerous proximity to my life threatening allergy, and am wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar situation.

Each time, I've been able to control the reaction with medication but am feeling a bit vulnerable to say the least. I would advise those suffering from severe food allergies to review their spaces at work, play, and home to be sure they are not accidentally breathing in their food allergies by airborne particles.

What do you think? Have you ever reacted to your food allergy via airborne particles?

[polldaddy poll=5810211]

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry!!! It is really scary to have this happen. Especially when non allergic people (l'll call them muggles, Makes me feel better) don't understand how dangerous it is. Ill send Reiki your way if you like ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is difficult when all the sudden it comes out of nowhere and I have to run to the next room with benadryl and epipen in hand. But it could always be worse. Muggles--I love it!!! So funny, definitely going to start using that too haha =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Food Allergies in the Air (sprinklesandallergies.wordpress.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete