Saturday, May 26, 2012

Gluten Free Happy Hour

 
Our homemade Pineapple Strawberry Cocktail with White Rum

For the newly diagnosed food allergic, gluten intolerant, or Celiac individual, the question I've been asked quite often is...
Okay, so you've told me what I can eat. Now what the hell can I drink?

I stick to basic and classic alcohols that aren't distilled from grains-- no fancy stuff or fake flavorings. You can easily dress up some plain rum or tequila yourself without the help of pre-made mixers and coolers (which often contain barley malt and other additives from soy). There is some controversy over whether grain distilled liquors are okay for Celiac or gluten intolerant individuals to consume. I can tell you from my experience, I have to stay away. Vodka distilled from grain has wrecked some pretty extreme havoc on me in the past and I'm not eager to do it again.

Though most vodkas are out for me, Ciroc vodka is made from grapes instead of grain. There are also some good potato vodkas out there, but a word of warning--they can be pretty strong!

My favorites/go-to's for a Gluten-free, Soy free, Nut free, Cocktail Party:



  1. Bacardi Superior Rum

  2. Groundswell Organic White Table Wine (or Groundswell Red)

  3. Ciroc Vodka (from grapes, original frost flavor. I'm not sure on the other berry flavors).

  4. Luksusowa Polish Potato Vodka 

  5. Estancia Riesling (White Wine). I love the fruity flavor of a good Riesling. Don't drink Wine if you are sensitive to yeast or sulfites. I've gotten much less sensitive to yeast, which is why I include it here.

  6. 365 Whole Foods Goat Cheese (contains Milk, Casein).  Cheese platters and Wine. Need I say more?

  7. Neon Flexi-Straws for pretty, fun smoothie Cocktails

  8. Jose Cuervo Especial Tequila

  9. Fresh Flowers. Roses are always a classic.

  10. Enjoy Life Crunchy Cookies (allergen free).

I don't drink too often, but when I do, I....don't drink Dos Equis. Instead I focus on what I can drink and jazz it up myself to make it special. I love blending fresh pineapple, strawberries, ice, and white rum together to make a delicious spiked tropical smoothie. Adding fresh organic fruits and herbs as garnish and fun straws just gives that extra special touch. Try a sprig of fresh basil or mint in your next homemade cocktail.

Indulge Responsibly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Even though I'm not allergic, I always read it with interest. Such good choice of topics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I've been slacking on posting as much lately due to my new job, but I'm going to try harder for sure during June =) Thanks for reading, I hope you're doing fantastic!

    ReplyDelete