Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Soft Baked Pretzels, Gluten-free & Grain-free


Image

I cannot recall the last time I had a pretzel. A soft, baked pretzel at that. I can also honestly say that I've never tasted a homemade pretzel. When I was quite young, I regularly crunched on salty twisted, skinny crispy, fluffy soft, and thick straight pretzels. But they all had one thing in common; they came prepackaged and processed, bought easily from the grocery aisles. Since I haven't been able to indulge in that simple pleasure for years, I am brimming with excitement over these gluten and grain-free soft pretzels. This dough is the easiest to roll and bend into shape due to the pliable coconut flour. When I was rolling out a pretzel between my hands, it almost seemed like there was gluten in it--so mold-able! I'd love to say that this recipe was my own, but I have to give genius credit where it's due. I used this pretzel recipe from A Love Affair with Honey, and honestly made no changes. Next time I may try adding a little baking soda to make them rise a bit more, but it's a great recipe either way. It makes beautiful, delicious and healthy grain-free, soy-free pretzels.

**It has since come to my attention that this recipe has been removed from the original site, but please check the comments below as one of my wonderful readers has outlined the original recipe from that site and shared it below. All credit still goes to those at A Love Affair with Honey

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




10 comments:

  1. Would you mind posting this recipe? It is no longer available at "A Love Affair with Honey." Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happen to still have the recipe? The link says it doesn't exist anymore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone, I'm scouring my recipe archives to see if I can find a backup of it somewhere, but haven't had any luck yet. I'll be attempting to recreate it from memory soon, so I'll post something if I'm able to do it successfully. Might take me a few tries though. Sorry about this, I might try to contact the blog admin over at "A Love Affair with Honey". -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you find the recipe?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately I haven't been able to track down the original recipe from the other blog yet. You might try contacting them over there, I might try that again too. I wish they hadn't deleted it =( It really was phenomenal but I can't remember all the exact measurements they used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found a pin on pinterest with this comment on it: "Gluten Free & Grain Free Pretzels 3 eggs(at room temp), divided use 1-1/2 cups Gluten Free Blanched Almond Meal Flour(I use Bobs Red Mill) 1/2 tsp. salt 1 T. butter (I use GHEE) 2-3 T. Gluten Free Organic Coconut Flour(I use Bobs Red Mill) 1 teaspoon water" I don't know if it's complete or correct though~

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I actually saved this recipe on my meal planner and I have the recipe word for word!

    Pretzels -

    3 eggs(at room temp) divided use
    1-1/2 cups Gluten Free Blanched Almond Meal Flour (I use Bobs Red Mill)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 T. butter I use GHEE
    2-3 T. Gluten Free Organic Coconut Flour (I use Bobs Red Mill)
    1 teaspoon water
    Coarse salt

    Beat 2 eggs, and set them aside. Add the almond flour, salt and butter together and mix well. Into this mixture, pour and mix the beaten eggs. This is where you should have a very wet dough. Add in one tablespoon of coconut flour and mix in well. Allow to sit for about a minute as the coconut flour takes a bit of time to absorb. You are looking for a dough that can be easily kneaded, yet will not stick to your hands. Add a second tablespoon of coconut flour, looking for this play-doh like texture. Starlene from Gaps Diet Journey said she had to add a third tablespoon to get the desired texture. This is true as I also needed to do this.

    Let the dough rest for five minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Liberally grease a cookie sheet.

    Take a hunk of dough about half the size of a golf ball,and roll the dough under your hands into a long skinny pencil about the length of a pencil.

    Once you have a piece of dough this size, continue to roll it thinner and thinner until it is about twice as long.

    VERY Carefully lift the long skinny piece of dough to the cookie sheet. Twist it carefully into the shape of a pretzel – or the shape of letters, hearts, I even flattened out a few pieces and used a cookie cutter to make some cool shapes.

    Place the pretzels in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Beat the remaining egg and add 1 teaspoon water.

    Remove the pretzels from the oven. Turn the oven up to 400°F.

    Turn all of the pretzels over and you will see the bottom is nicely browned. This is actually the top of your pretzel! Lightly brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.

    Return to the oven for 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pretzel recipe from A Love Affair With Honey originally came from here: http://gapsdietjourney.com/2012/04/recipe-pretzels-gluten-free-and-grain-free/

    Hope it helps.

    I was also surprised to see that recipe disappear from that blog but I guess that simply shows it's best to probably have a backup somewhere in case that happens.

    ReplyDelete