Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Almond Orange Blueberry Muffins (Grain-free)

Almond Orange blueberry muffin 1

My mom is an excellent baker. She might tell you otherwise, but that's expected. She's so humble and extraordinarily kind...I wish I was better at emulating her example. When my sister and I were little, she would get us both involved in baking pastries and cookies. I specifically remember her teaching me to roll out the dough for pie crusts, and me sneakily nibbling on the forbidden dough. I'd usually get caught doing that or licking the cookie dough bowl and get a stern, "Bethany Marie! There's raw eggs in there, you know better than that.." Whoops...sorry Mom.

I remember us loving her lemon poppy seed muffins and classic blueberry muffins. My own version of the blueberry muffins has a sweet citrus twist from organic orange oil that I think plays well with the berries and hints of warm vanilla and cinnamon. My mom doesn't live near here, but I'd like to think they'd be Mom approved. And you'd be proud, mom. I didn't lick the bowl....this time. I love you for all you've taught me through the years. You're simply the best.

muffins 2

muffin 3

Almond Orange Blueberry Muffins (grain-free)

This recipe is free of: Gluten, Grains, Soy, Dairy, Peanuts, Legumes, Yeast, and Sugar.

Yields: 9 or 10 muffins.
  • 2 cups almond flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 30 - 35 drops Stevia (liquid) or more if you like it sweeter.
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon orange oil. I use Simply Organics orange flavor. If you like it fruitier, add 1 teaspoon instead.
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup almond milk (other non-dairy or dairy milks can be used instead).
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup blueberries (or about 4 to 5 blueberries per muffin).

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine dry ingredients (except blueberries) and set aside. Combine the wet ingredients (except blueberries) and mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until well combined. I did not need to use an electric mixer. Carefully stir in the blueberries until combined, being sure not to squish them too much. (**An alternative way would be to pour the batter into the muffin tin first, then add 4 to 5 blueberries per muffin).
  3. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners, or lightly oil the tin to prevent sticking. I used liners, but the muffins did stick a little to them until they cooled completely. I was able to peel the liners with no problem after waiting several hours for cooling.
  4. Pour the batter into the muffin tin evenly. I used about 1/3 cup measuring cup for this.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until muffins have risen and are golden brown on top. Insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin to make sure they're done. If the toothpick comes out clean, they're ready. Let cool and serve with butter or orange marmalade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11 comments:

  1. the muffins look so beautiful, fluffy and delicious, and I love the story about your mom and your childhood, such a memorable time, right? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, they really brought me back in time... minus the wheat and gluten of course! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound really good. Do you have suggestions on flour to use if i can't use almond or other nut flours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I haven't tried this with any other flours yet, but I might try brown rice flour with them. I think the measurements would have to be played with a bit, but I'll let you know if it I try it and it works out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I haven't ventured into the world of gluten-free baking yet so I'm totally unfamiliar with the flours and proportions. These sound worth trying, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet tribute to your mother. The muffins looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm allergic to egg. Do you have a good suggestion for a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also cannot use any type of sweetener. Ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, have you tried using some natural sugars such as coconut sugar (low glycemic), beet sugar, or date sugar? These could be good alternatives. As far as egg replacement goes, try combining 1 tablespoon of flax seed meal with 3 tablespoons warm water. This will equal 1 egg. Also, Ener-G brand makes an egg replacement product that I have used successfully many times. I even used it in my sisters allergy free wedding cake! I hope this helps, have a lovely day! :-)

    ReplyDelete