Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dairy-free Cream of Celery and Avocado Soup

DSC_0981

This January, I began the journey to earn my master's degree in human nutrition. It's been a month of adjusting to being a college student again, but I have no complaints whatsoever. I knew I wanted to study nutrition four years ago this month, when my gluten issues were first diagnosed. My passion for health and food has only grown more full in time. I'm loving every second of grad school so far and constantly find myself asking, "what took me so long to start this?" Well regardless of the delay, I'm here and can't wait to savor every second of it.

Before I started formally studying nutrition, I knew veggies were nutrient powerhouses, but after learning some of the science behind these babies, I decided I need to incorporate even more of them into my menu. Since winter is still in full swing in Michigan right now, a warm and creamy veggie soup sounded more than appropriate. I'm largely dairy-free due to lactose intolerance so I opted for whole coconut milk to achieve a classic "cream" of celery soup. I went a step further and added half of an avocado, which in my opinion really puts this velvety smooth soup over the top.

DSC_0985

Dairy-free Cream of Celery & Avocado Soup

This recipe is free of: Gluten, Grains, Soy, Peanuts, Dairy, Legumes, & Processed Sugar
  • 2 cups celery, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 cups water, or vegetable stock
  • 1/2 cup whole coconut milk
  • 1/2 of 1 large avocado
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt
  • Freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • Optional: Dash of cayenne pepper

  1. In a large saucepan, saute celery, onion, garlic, and spices over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
  2. Add water, coconut milk, and avocado and bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat, let cool slightly, then transfer to a blender.
  5. Blend on high until a smooth consistency is achieved. Transfer to serving bowls, garnish with celery leaves or stalks and serve hot or at room temperature.

**Note: If a thicker consistency is desired, decrease the water in the recipe. If you'd like it thinner, increase water content.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for keeping it simple and nutricous. This will be perfect for me:)Hugs and gratitude to you for sharing this and Congrats on following your dream.You are so gifted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,
    Thank you so much for all your kind words, it's so nice to know that the posts are helpful! Sending warm wishes your way! =)
    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete