Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Source your fish: Buy wild, not Farm-raised



After another run-in with soy contamination, I'm needing to remind myself and others; Source everything, especially any animal products you may consume.

The Problem: I would never think to source my fish, but when you'd never think to source it is usually when you have to source it the most. Find out what it's fed before buying it to avoid wasting time and money.  The latest offender: Meijer brand Tilapia.  It's farmed, which I knew was worse for the fish, but now I know it's not ideal for us either. Farmed fish are usually fed a diet of corn and soy, just like all the other conventional livestock in this country. I'm not sure why I originally thought fish would not be included in this. I suppose the idea of fish eating soy seemed so ridiculous to me that I felt foolish for even considering. That ridiculousness has not seemed to cross the mind of large producers of fish for huge grocery chains.

Tilapia fed a corn/soy diet has decreased Omega 3's, but increased Omega-6's which is not ideal. Eating unhealthy fatty acids instead of good ones is not why most people eat fish.

Quick and easy fix:  Buy only "wild" fish. It may be a bit more expensive depending on where you buy, but it's better than waking up at 5:30a.m. to find a lump in the throat from a delayed reaction. Buy wild, and stay healthy.

Leaving you with a thought I find is very true and real:



Every thought I think is creating my future." --Louise Hay



With love,

Bethany xoxo

P.s. My boyfriend has really been a huge help through all these surprise reactions that find a way to sneak into our home. I was feeling pretty defeated this morning before I could figure out what had gotten me, but he reminded me that even though I was being realistic about the contamination, I had to stay positive. It's much easier with someone as sunny as him helping me. I really don't give him enough credit, so here it is for everyone to see! You rock hunny.

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to pay attention to this. Perhaps this is why I've always felt slightly queasy after eating fish at my uni dorm, even though I know the staff have been careful and cross-contamination is well controlled. I will be going with 'wild caught' from now on. Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I liked the pink lining on Yan's especially =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] meats (grassfed, not grainfed). See my post on sourcing your meat here and your fish here. Most commercial pork, chicken, eggs, and lamb were all raised on a soy-fed or grainfed diet. [...]

    ReplyDelete