Thursday, November 10, 2011

Multiple Sclerosis and Food allergies: A speculation

- The following is a speculation based on my own personal experiences and available research. It should not be regarded as any type of medical advice. -


http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos-golden-wheat-rimagefree5472115-resi3857824 
(Photo Credit: Dreamstime.com Free)

Two and a half years ago, I was exhibiting many typical signs of MS. I lost feeling in my legs randomly which sometimes caused falling, experienced numbness, had prickling sensations in most limbs, felt it was hard to move my right arm, quick electric shock type sensations when moving certain ways or when at rest, and at times had blurred vision and dizziness (Along with other symptoms of gluten intolerance such as attention deficit, upset stomach, headaches, depression and anxiety to name a few off the list). After implementing a gluten free diet, all of my symptoms and failing health disappeared within weeks.

Recently, I was diagnosed with a severe allergic reaction to soy. Before this diagnosis, I was considering getting screened for MS. After cutting soy out of my diet and personal care products, all my MS-like symptoms are gone. I find it curious and am speculating on the possible misdiagnosis of gluten ataxia, celiac disease, and food allergies as Multiple Sclerosis.

First off though, please do not take clinical diagnosis of MS lightly. It is a serious disease that is said to have no cure, though some studies say that a gluten free or grainless diet can be helpful in reducing the severity of symptoms. If someone has been correctly diagnosed with MS, it may be giving a false hope if I would say that it could be reversed from implementing this diet change, which is not what I am doing and is not my goal here.
My goal is to draw attention to a couple key points.


  • Misdiagnosis of gluten ataxia, gluten sensitivity, or Celiac disease as MS may be possible. Working with your doctor to get a definitive diagnosis is key.
  • There have been accounts for and against gluten playing a part in the progression of MS and it's best to read a variety of articles for information. What is true for one person may not necessarily hold true for another.
Forums such as Celiac.com offer a place to discuss symptoms and personal experiences regarding gluten, celiac disease, other food allergies, autoimmune diseases, and diseases linked to diet. Check out a forum discussing MS and gluten here and here. It's helpful to read all the entries to the bottom of the page to see patterns.

As one of those people whose symptoms did a 180 degree turnaround after addressing my food allergies, I highly recommend talking with your doctor regarding gluten, food allergies, and any MS-like symptoms.

What do you think? Any personal stories of MS diagnosis and food allergies, or overcoming a misdiagnosis?


Don't be discouraged.  It's often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock." ~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment