Monday, December 19, 2011

Allergy Anxiety: Kick the Fear

[caption id="attachment_481" align="aligncenter" width="468"]http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos-two-lilies-rimagefree1114903-resi3857824 Relax and take a step back. Food is not your enemy. (Photo credit: Dreamstime free)[/caption]

Just after my soy allergy diagnosis, I experienced a not so uncommon mental state: Food allergy reaction anxiety. It lasted for about a month before I learned how to rework my relationship with food. The hardest part was not knowing where to start.


Having a serious allergic reaction can be scary. Fortunately, there are many ways to calm down and keep a balanced mental state.



Food can be seen as medicine. Once you know what you need to avoid, the scariest part is over. Embrace the foods that your body doesn't react to and visualize them as a sort of shield. With each day you rework your relationship with foods that are okay, the stronger your system becomes. Nourish and treat yourself to your favorite foods, and try to follow a three or four day rotation diet to minimize developing any new allergies.



Some of my favorite things to do to keep a great outlook and a calm composure:


- Yoga -







This instructor (Esther Ekhart) has tons of great yoga videos. If you're looking for something to burn off a little more excess energy due to anxiousness, check out her more fast paced yoga for anxiety here.


- Guided Relaxation -







Focusing on just being can be a powerful experience. It really tunes you into how amazing your body, mind, and spirit are--even if your system can't handle a fist-full of foods.


- Indulge in something amazing I CAN eat -



I believe in moderation with sweets, as with most things. Take a moment (and a small dish) to remind yourself that you're not surrounded by food you can't eat. Just remember to indulge responsibly ;)

2 comments:

  1. When I found out about my allergies, I didn't know where to start because I had to give up all my favorite brands! It was hard at first but I think I got the hang of it! And yoga really does help, I do the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] personal and close to home for me, as I can totally relate to the stories of these children and the fear aspect of living with intense food allergies. I’m quite lucky to have my most severe allergies as an adult and not as a small child. [...]

    ReplyDelete