Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Basic Detox, Candida Elimination, Diet and Lifestyle


This is the "part-2" post of my detox and candida elimination plan. These diet tips and lifestyle changes are from my personal experience. I am not a medical professional and this should not be regarded as medical advice. Please see my previous post on Detox, and Candida albicans overgrowth here.


Whenever starting any kind of detox plan, it's best to increase water consumption in order to help rid the body of toxins and reduce die-off symptoms. Focus on all the great foods you can eat instead of what you can't.


One of the most important things to remember: Cut out Sugar! That being said, here is my personal list of foods to avoid, and foods to eat.



Foods to avoid:



  • Sugar



  • Gluten (wheat, barley, rye)



  • Oats



  • White Rice (opt for brown rice)



  • Most fruit and fruit juices



  • White Potatoes and other starchy root veggies such as beets and parsnips. Corn is also very starchy and is best avoided.



  • Alcohol (changes to sugar quickly in the body)



  • Yeast (some people do okay with inactive nutritional yeast that you may find in cheese replacement products. I've done okay with it).



  • Vinegars and fermented products (some do okay with apple cider vinegar, but be sure to source it. I used Bragg's apple cider vinegar which is made on their shared equipment with soy and had a massive reaction. They have a product called "Liquid Aminos" which is basically straight up soy).



  • Farmed Fish (buy wild sockeye salmon if possible).



  • Citric acid, food additives, colorings, chemicals used in food production, and MSG.



  • Coffee



  • Soda (regular and diet)



  • Cashews and Peanuts, due to higher mold content



  • Soy and all soy derivatives (soy oil, soy lecithin).



  • Legumes - I avoid these since they are in the soy family, but mostly just avoid all beans due to the high starch content.



  • Most cooking oils (I use coconut oil and olive oil instead of canola, peanut, vegetable, or corn oils).



  • Cut out all processed foods if possible.



  • Dried Fruit --avoid like the plague! Very sugar laden.


Notes to remember: Avoid all dried fruit, as the sugars are more concentrated. Avoid all fruit juices, unless your are juicing tomatoes yourself or adding lemon juice to your hot water to start the day. I like to juice tomatoes, carrots, and celery with a dash of salt, pepper and cayenne for flavor.


Experiment with high sugar food replacements such as pureeing cauliflower and adding some coconut butter and garlic instead of your run of the mill sugar heavy mashed potatoes.







Foods to load up on:



  • -Lean meats (grassfed, not grainfed). See my post on sourcing your meat here and your fish here. Most commercial pork, chicken, eggs, and lamb were all raised on a soy-fed or grainfed diet. Non-soy fed meats cost more, but it's a price I'm willing and have to pay in order to stay healthy with minimal allergic reactions.



  • Soy free eggs (see previous post here).



  • Avocado



  • Berries, in moderation



  • Brown Rice



  • Quinoa



  • Buckwheat



  • All vegetables except for potatoes and other starchy veggies listed in the above section



  • Brown Rice Pasta



  • I do okay with spaghetti squash, acorn squash, and butternut squash in moderation.



  • Sweet potatoes in moderation were fine for me, but may not be okay for everyone.



  • Nuts and Seeds (Sunflower seeds, chia seeds, and almonds all agreed with me great).



It may take some time to feel and see results, but once you do it will all be well worth the effort. My energy doubled after a few month long detox and I look/feel a lot healthier. The key is to stick with it. If you are experiencing die-off symptoms (cold/flu/fever like symptoms), you are going in the right direction!


Many people stop at the sign of detox symptoms because they are feeling a bit sick, but don't stop unless the die-off is too severe. Just cut back on the diet a little if it is too much. Then once you have the detox symptoms more manageable, increase your arsenal again.


The following post(s) will contain various favorite recipes of mine that are okay on the Detox or Candida Elimination Diet, one being Quinoa Tabbouleh. Wishing you good energies and luck =)


Feel free to comment below or start a support discussion. Email me with questions or comments as well if that is a better method for you, at: soyfreeglutenfreehaven@gmail.com

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for these posts! I hope this is what makes me feel better because I have been dealing with allergies for 2 years now and want to have a better new year. Did you get tested for candida? If so how did you get tested? I'm wondering if i should get tested or just try this on my own cause my doctors never seem to be much help. Also, I'm thinking i should take candida clear do you think it played a good role in getting you better? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! It's definitely an important topic. I brought up to my doctor that I thought I had the issue, and she just looked at me like I was crazy and barely knew what I was referring too, even though I had a touch of oral thrush (tell tale sign). Mine came about because of damage from food allergies and celiac disease, but also because I came down with mono and had a weakened immune system. So I never had testing done for it, and had to diagnosis myself as usual. I didn't start taking the Candida Clear until about 3 weeks into the Candida detox, just so I didn't experience too heavy of die-off symptoms. Even if you get a doctor who will test it for you and you come back negative, a good detox is still very helpful and will really boost your immune system and your overall energy. A good rule to follow is a week detox every 6 months as good maintenance of your body. I can't believe I went like 20 years without ever doing a single detox...yikes! Glad I learned, and my detox symptoms will never be as bad as the first one. Good luck, let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya my doctor(s) have looked at me like I was crazy and barely knew what i was talking about too. So I'm just going to do this and hope for the best. Of course I decide to do this right around the holidays:p But it will keep me away from all the bad stuff, so thats good. How long did it take you to start feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it first started off with the detox symptoms, so I temporarily felt worse instead of better for a few days. Depending on how bad the case is, it can take a week or more of detox symptoms. After that though, I started to improve rapidly. I noticed a huge difference after just 2 weeks. It does take some patience, but if this is your first detox, I would shoot for a month or so. I feel so much better now, and of course I'm addressing my food allergies. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] see the Basic Detox & Candida Elimination: Diet and Lifestyle post for information on foods to eat, foods to avoid, lifestyle changes, and [...]

    ReplyDelete