Thursday, January 12, 2012

It's Money, Honey

 - Raw, local honey..Delicious, and great for health. -



[caption id="attachment_570" align="aligncenter" width="374"] 
How cute is he?
Why I take at least a teaspoon of honey about every other day: (just don't give it to small children please!)

  • High in polyphenols and anti-oxidants

  • Aids in controlling asthma and allergies, as well as helps promote upper respiratory health (fights infection). Very helpful during high allergy seasons.

  • Gives a good boost to the immune system, which I love in the cold winter months.

  • Helps establish lower cholesterol

  • Relieves cough symptoms during a cold

  • Has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties

  • High Vitamin and mineral content (at the highest when bought locally).

  • Buying local honey helps local farmers and helps fight against bee colony collapse.

  • Raw honey means it has not been heated to remove key vitamins, minerals, and enzymes mentioned above.

My current favorite ways to enjoy the health benefits of honey:

  1. Drizzled on brown rice and cinnamon pancakes

  2. Warm water with honey and fresh lemon juice (not too hot, as to not destroy key health benefits). This makes a good and quick lemonade by the glass if you do it with cool water.

  3. In homemade salad dressings.

  4. Good old fashioned--by the spoonful!
I have a hilarious and irrational fear of bees, but I do love them and their honey, contrary to popular belief. I'm talking to you, Mom, Dad, and siblings.

What are your favorite ways to enjoy the health benefits of honey? All in moderation of course.

http://www.dreamstime.com/honey-comb-imagefree2168861

2 comments:

  1. [...] you could also use fresh or frozen fruit, Enjoy Life allergy free chocolate chips, or drizzle some raw honey on top. (I have done all of the previously mentioned). It makes for a nice but still healthy treat. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Raw Cacao powder added another depth of flavor to the cakes and the slight crunchiness of the Chia seeds offered a nice contrast. (I use Navitas Naturals Raw Chia Seeds and Raw Cacao Powder). I followed the basic pancake recipe on the back of the Namaste Gluten Free Pancakes mix before adding my variations. I also used coconut milk instead of the water that was called for. This makes for a thicker, fluffier pancake in my opinion. I top mine with a smear of Olivio Coconut Spread (soy free, dairy free, gluten free), and a drizzle of raw local Michigan honey. [...]

    ReplyDelete