Saturday, September 22, 2012

Breakfast Stuffed Tomatoes


Our garden is overflowing with ripe red tomatoes. Today I braved a sudden downpour to pluck these hanging lovelies and oddly, standing unprotected in the chilled rain didn't bother me today. It felt raw and beautiful. I seemed connected to the ground, the sky, and all that is. I looked on the miracle of living plants offering their bounty in a vibrant flash of color, contrasting perfectly with the greyness of the morning. Breathing in the scents of the garden while it soaks an unexpected gift of water makes me realize how everything is moving around us in delicate but certain cycles of life.  These simple moments make me welcome the first day of fall with open arms.


I love gathering freshly picked produce, walking two minutes back to the kitchen and using it immediately. It doesn't get any more nutritious and fresh than that. Today's highlights included ripe green bell peppers, towers of kale, and crisp white onions. I knew these would marry well with some sort of egg scramble, but I wanted to try something a little less conventional. I've always been a fan of any kind of stuffed vegetable or fruit, and quickly eyed the shiny red tomatoes. Breakfast stuffed tomatoes ensued in a flash--a naturally gluten-free, soy-free and paleo pick me up in the morning. It's mouth-watering delicious!


Breakfast Stuffed Tomatoes

Yields 4 stuffed tomatoes

This recipe is free of: Gluten, Soy, Dairy (if omitting the goat cheese), Nuts, Fish, Grains, Legumes, and Yeast. (Paleo)

  • 4 large tomatoes
  • 4 to 5 large soy-free eggs
  • 1/2 cup diced green bell peppers
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped kale
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • Optional: Crumbled goat cheese
  • 4 leaves fresh basil
  1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Cut the tops off the tomatoes and hollow out the center and set securely in baking dish.
  3. Dice the vegetables and distribute evenly among the four tomatoes.
  4. Beat the eggs and pour evenly into tomatoes.
  5. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
  6. Optional: During the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the crumbled goat cheese on top to warm.
  7. Serve hot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea. People keep giving me tomatoes and I'm running out of ideas... only so much salsa I can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful and delicious stuffed tomatoes <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! Sending best wishes =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! We are pretty much drowning in garden tomatoes! Love the fall =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look amazing. also, your new camera is great! :)

    ReplyDelete