Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Flax & Almond Paleo Pancakes


Some of my earliest memories are times spent with my father in early mornings. On weekends, we often woke early and trekked just a few minutes away with waking highway traffic to our favorite breakfast spot. Decorated in old west and native American art, Soup n' Stuff restaurant was anything but typical. The smell of freshly brewed coffee hung around my dad as he sipped and waited as my older sister and I made our breakfast choices, which almost always included the most amazing flapjacks ever. They were always steaming hot and almost bigger than me. The waitstaff knew us by name and would sometimes drizzle shapes and smiley faces of syrup on top. I'm lucky to have a photographic memory--I can still see it perfectly preserved in my mind. That was time spent well.

That was also a time before I knew anything about my food allergies. But no matter what pancakes I'm making now, those memories come rushing back. This recipe in particular is becoming one of my favorites. It doesn't yield gargantuan flapjacks, but it's a delicious alternative, completely paleo, and also Specific Carbohydrate Diet safe. The SCD diet is grain-free and more and is often followed by those with Crohn's disease to reduce dangerous inflammation in the body. I've been opting for grain-free alternatives now and again for various health reasons, and with options like this I really can't complain. Plus, I know I'm fueling my body with sound nutrition. (I also can't resist saying that while I write this, they're using Almond flour in the dessert round of Chopped on Food Network! Loving it!)


Flax & Almond Paleo Pancakes

This recipe is: Gluten-free, Grain-free, Soy-free, Peanut-free, Legume-free, Yeast-free, Sugar-free. (Paleo and SCD safe).
  • 1 1/2 cups almond flour (I used Bob's Red Mill brand here, and for the flax meal).
  • 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 tablespoons So Delicious Sugar-free Vanilla Coconut Milk (U se more or less depending on consistency desired. If you want a thicker batter, use less. If you like a thinner batter, use more).
  • 3 eggs (I make sure I source from a farm that has soy-free eggs).
  • Optional: 1/2 tablespoon honey or alternative sweetener.

  1. Preheat a skillet on the stove on medium heat.
  2. Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
  3. Drizzle some olive oil or coconut oil into the skillet. Drop about 1/3 cup pancake batter onto the skillet and flip when small bubble start to form on the top.
  4. Serve hot with fresh berries, or a drizzle of pure maple syrup. (I topped mine with Olivio Coconut Spread, ground cinnamon, and coconut sugar).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

  1. Hello can you please tell me where I can get soyfree eggs or maybe the brands that you know of. thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon,

    I now purchase my soy-free eggs locally (I live in southeast Michigan and buy them from People's Food Coop in Ann Arbor. They source from Swartz Farm). But before I found that local source, I was buying them from Tropical Traditions http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/ They are a little pricey that way, and they ship from Wisconsin I think, but if you can't find any locally it's always an option. Hope this helps! Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete