Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Soy-free Vegan Pad Thai (Gluten-free)

photo(9)I apologize for the photo quality, as I didn't have time to grab my DSLR the night I made this. Plus the lighting in my kitchen was less than ideal for a quality photo-shoot (it was after 10:00pm). So without further ado, here is my take on a soy-free pad thai using my favorite soy sauce replacement; coconut aminos! Coconut aminos is made from the sap of the coconut tree and has a softer, but similar taste to soy sauce. It's quite salty but is minimally processed and rich in essential amino acids, especially the raw enzyme rich Coconut Secret brand (my unsolicited opinion). I splash it onto warm brown rice noodles with stir-fried veggies and spices for instant delicious take-out worthy food--all while enjoying a night in. I know authentic pad thai doesn't usually incorporate curry, but I love the warmth it adds to the dish and since I don't use fish sauce, I decided the curry could give it a unique kick in the place of it. I also add kale for some green goodness and an unexpected healthy twist.

Soy-free Vegan Pad Thai (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan).
  • 1 box Thai Kitchen Brown Rice Noodles (or your favorite gluten-free long, skinny noodles).
  • 1 can organic diced tomatoes
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh kale
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for coating noodles later (optional).
  • 1/3 cup sliced water chestnuts
  • 1/4 cup roasted pine nuts
  • 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (or more to taste).
  • 2 teaspoons Simply Organic curry powder (or your favorite brand of curry powder)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 2 tablespoons water from the noodles (adds starch to thicken the sauce).
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

  1. Using a saucepan filled with hot water, soak the Thai kitchen brown rice noodles for at least 5 minutes to soften. (I use the whole box, which consists of 4 individual packets). Be sure to save 2 tablespoons of this pasta water after soaking is finished to add to the sauce.
  2. While the noodles are softening, add olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic, and water chestnuts and heat for about 2 minutes or until onions are slightly softened.
  3. Add the diced tomatoes from the can, (fresh can be used as well, but the juice from the can helps create a nicer sauce), kale, pine nuts, spices, and coconut aminos. Saute over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
  4. Add the softened brown rice noodles and any additional olive oil to coat them and reduce sticking. Mix well over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
  5. Optional: For a spicier dish, add a dash of cayenne pepper right at the end and mix thoroughly. Serve hot.


1 comment:

  1. This looks and sounds incredibly tasty. The white and cayenne must give it a great glow. A half tsp of paprika might be a nice touch, too.

    I think we need to do this one for TV!!

    VERY nice, Bethany. Yer Livin' the Dream!

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete