Monday, July 22, 2013

Spiral Cucumber "Noodles" with Balsamic and Bleu Gorgonzola

DSC_1354

My soon to be mother-in-law gifted me an amazing spiral slicer for my birthday this past May. I first saw this unique kitchen tool used by the always fabulous Mimi Kirk in her raw cookbook, Live Raw.  Ever since then, I had the itch to experiment with making my own veggie "noodles".  I thought they'd be a welcome change of pace from regular gluten-free pasta, something I tend to make at least once a week.

Now that our summer garden currently resembles a wild jungle of produce, we have more cucumbers than we know what to do with--which is a fantastic problem to have. Using the spiral slicer, I grabbed a few fresh large cucumbers and spun them into something I'd like to call "un-spaghetti". I left the dark green peel on for some added color to the "noodles" and immediately tossed them with balsamic vinaigrette, crumbled bleu gorgonzola cheese, diced red onion, and warm roasted pecans. This is a vegetarian dish but could easily be made vegan by using a non-dairy crumbled cheese instead. It's a perfect light summer bite that creates a whole new take on salad.

DSC_1342

DSC_1344

DSC_1347

DSC_1374

Spiral Cucumber "Noodles" with Balsamic and Bleu Gorgonzola

Yield: 2 servings
  • 2 medium cucumbers
  • 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 1/4 cup crumbled bleu gorgonzola cheese (or non-dairy option)
  • 1/4 roasted pecans
  • balsamic vinaigrette
  • Optional: salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

  1. Using a spiral slicer, spin two unpeeled cucumbers into long noodle-like ribbons.
  2. Toss with all other ingredients and serve as a fresh take on salad.

7 comments:

  1. Hi ya. Love my spiralizer. Too bad it's I. Storage. Not very handy. Just an FYI, there is a discussion that blue cheese may or may not be gluten-free. Some of the mold used starts on wheat products. A University in Canada has shown that there is no gluten in the cheese, but others find that when they eat blue cheese it causes them problems. I'm off dairy, so the point is moot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I need to get myself one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come home and make this for me!! I can smell it in your amazing pics!!

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm, cucumber noodles....I'm down!
    I think they would make a great glass noodle replacement! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried them. They're ok for what they are. Kinda like chewing rubber bands but when pasta isn't an option they are better than nothing. I went through a phase where I loved them but it passed. I much prefer noodles made from zucchini/summer squash with a spiral slicer. One zucchini yields a good amount of noodles and it about 30calories without a weird texture.

    ReplyDelete