Friday, October 26, 2012

A Little Something about Health Investment

 
This squirrel sincerely thinks it's our pet. I've now become the mother of squirrels, which obviously is not as cool as being the khaleesi with dragons. Complete with running up to the door and waiting for us to come out with sweet nuts and sunflower seeds. This guy knows how to get good (and free) nutrition!

There was a time in my life when I didn't know how to effectively love and treat my body. Before going gluten-free, I was sick to the point where I stood 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighed in at only 94 pounds due to malnutrition. After diagnosis, I returned to a healthier weight until the diagnosis of my other food allergies (including soy and peanuts). The funny thing is, even now as I'm getting back up to my ideal body weight, I'm more confident in how I see my body and how I treat it. Ironically, I have living gluten-free and food allergies to thank for it. These are the things that finally taught me how to live and live well.

Getting diagnosed with everything that I have has made me realize how important it is to learn to fill your body with real healing nutrition. I can honestly say that when starting out gluten-free, I probably set myself back even further by attempting to "replace" all the foods I thought I had lost forever--trans fats, overly processed foods and all. I had no idea how to eat before my diagnosis and certainly didn't know how to eat just after either. Slowly, I learned to listen to my body and turn away from flashy advertising for convenient processed foods. Do I swear off all of it? No. But I do know how to see which ones are investments to my health in the long run and which ones are gimmicky nonsense. There are quite a few gluten-free processed food companies that really don't cater to living healthily--something that should be priority after a life changing diagnosis. The key is moderation and knowing that not everything needs a gluten-free replacement (Twinkies anyone?)

When dealing with any sort of health issue, breaking the cycle of illness and the root cause makes all the difference. This is the same principle with preventing illness and exaccerbated disease in the first place. It all begins with our forks and knives. I know that when I treat my body well, I can be a confident, healthy, and well balanced being, despite having a life long autoimmune disease and food allergies. Real confidence isn't just a mental state, it's also the ecological balance within. Make the choice to invest in your health and confidence today by starting with your plate.
How do you plan to treat your body well today?

4 comments:

  1. I know! Diagnosis of food allergies has been an absolute blessing to me. I eat so much healthier now that I don't have the bias of "I could never give up [fill in the blank]" Plus its a good excuse to not eat the processed food everyone else is eating when we are out and about! :) It's nice the substitutions are available, but they are no longer part of my day-to-day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post. I have been working on "breaking the cycle of illness and the root cause" for some time and I really needed this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel it's something I need to remind myself of more often too =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't have said it better myself! Cheers! =)

    ReplyDelete