Sunday, September 16, 2012

Easy Chocolate Chia Pudding


Lately it's been off the hook busy around here. I've begun work on some special projects for an amazing gluten-free publication and I love getting swept up in it. I don't want to say too much on that at the moment, but I'll be spilling all the delightful details sometime soon.

Happily settling in for a rare relaxing weekend, I found myself wanting tasty but fast fixes for meals and treats so I didn't have to spend too much time in the kitchen. My sweet tooth was howling for something chocolatey, but I didn't want it to be unhealthy or heavy. I remembered how easy it is to throw together a unique and allergy friendly twist on the classic chocolate pudding--using chia seeds.


Chia seeds make a fantastic pudding like texture when combined with most liquids. They also add a slightly nutty undertone to the dish and a little crunch to an otherwise smooth texture. I chose to use Good Karma Flax milk to make the dessert allergen free and only a little alternative sweetener to keep it light. A quiet moment coating my spoon in rich chocolate flavor with the afternoon sun spilling through the window panes made it all feel like a much needed indulgence.



Easy Chocolate Chia Pudding

Yields 2 servings

This recipe is free of the top 8 allergens and gluten.

  • 3/4 cup flax milk (I use Good Karma brand)
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 2 tablespoons xylitol, or alternative sweetener of choice
  • 2 tablespoons cacao powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Combine flax milk and cacao powder and blend until well combined. You can use a whisk or put in the blender, which I found to be easier.
  2. Add xylitol or other sweetener, vanilla and chia seeds.
  3. Stir in the chia seeds until all are coated with the flax milk.
  4. Cover the mixture and put it in the fridge for at least one hour until it gels like a pudding. I left mine in the fridge for about 5 hours and it was perfect.
  5. Drop some fresh fruit over the top and serve cold or at room temperature.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I've heard about chia pudding and have been meaning to try it. You've just made it easy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. puddings are one of my fav desserts, will save this recipe and give it a try soon ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't go wrong with any type of chocolate pudding in my opinion =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Easy Chocolate Chia Pudding (sprinklesandallergies.com) Share this:FacebookTwitterEmailPinterestStumbleUponDiggPrintRedditTumblrLinkedInLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. [...]

    ReplyDelete